DR. AMRITTEJ VIRK
Dr. Virk specializes in Orofacial pain & TMJ management, primary headache disorders (migraine, tension-type headache etc.) and dental sleep medicine. He received his dental degree with honors from the University of Pennsylvania School of dental medicine. He also earned a certificate in Inter-professional pain education through Penn Dental Medicine’s Selective Program. During dental school, he externed at the Massachusetts General Hospital orofacial pain clinic in Boston which furthered his interest in a headache, facial pain/TMJ and sleep apnea management. After dental school, Dr. Virk decided to dedicate the rest of his career to orofacial pain and he entered the two-year Orofacial Pain and Dental Sleep Medicine residency program at UCLA school of dentistry. During his last year of residency, he served as chief resident.
Dr Virk is board certified by the American Board of Orofacial Pain. He is currently a member of the American Academy of Orofacial Pain (AAOP), American Headache Society (AHS), International Association for Study of Pain (IASP), Headache Cooperative of the Pacific (HCOP), American Dental Association (ADA) and Texas Dental Association (TDA).He has presented scientific posters at both national and international conferences and is currently an Adjunct Assistant Professor at the Texas A&M College of Dentistry, Dallas. He is also actively involved in the clinical research at both UCLA Orofacial pain clinic and Texas A & M Dental College sleep research program.
Dr. Virk’s focus is on treating and managing all aspects of chronic refractory primary headache disorders such as migraine, tension-type headache, cluster headache and occipital neuralgia, etc. In addition, he treats patients with orofacial pain conditions including musculoskeletal pain (TMD/TMJ, myofascial pain), atypical tooth pain, trigeminal nerve disorders, neurovascular and neuropathic pain. He is experienced in fabrication of TMJ orthotics, dental sleep appliances for management of obstructive sleep apnea/snoring Botox injections for migraines & orofacial pain conditions, intra-articular injections, trigger point injections, and nerve blocks.
Dr. Virk, being one of less than 300 board-certified Orofacial pain doctors in US, is uniquely qualified at evaluating and analyzing the whole picture and how the head, neck, and TMJ may or may not contribute to your overall headache pain. He believes in multidisciplinary approach by working hand in hand with his medical & dental colleagues to provide a best possible care to his patients. With his pleasant and positive demeanor, he spends the time necessary to evaluate and make decisions in order to improve his patients’ health and wellbeing.
Outside his practice, Dr Virk enjoys spending time with his wife and son, who keep him busy at home, when he is not seeing patients. He enjoys reading and taking road trips with his family exploring new places.
- Certificate in Orofacial Pain & Dental Sleep Medicine – Univ. of California Los Angeles School of Dental Medicine, Los Angeles, CA
- D.M.D. with Honors in Community Oral Health – Univ. of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine, Philadelphia, PA
- Externship in Orofacial pain – Mass Gen Hospital Orofacial Pain Clinic, Boston, MA
- Certificate of completion in “Pain Science & Practice” – Univ. of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine, Philadelphia, PA
- BDS – Sri Guru Ramdas Institute of Dental Sciences & Research, Punjab, India
- Dept. of Biomedical Sciences,Texas A&M College of Dentistry, Dallas, TX
- Dept of Oral Medicine & Orofacial Pain, UCLA School of Dentistry, Los Angeles, CA
- Diplomate – American Board of Orofacial Pain (ABOP)
- Fellow – American Academy of Orofacial Pain (AAOP)
- Chief Resident – Orofacial Pain & Dental Sleep Medicine Clinic, UCLA School of Dentistry, CA
- Effect of Occlusal Stabilization Splint on the Oxygen Saturation and Oxygen Desaturation Index – Dept. of Orofacial Pain, UCLA School of Dentistry, CA
- Mandibular Repositioning Devices for Management of Obstructive Sleep Apnea: Predictors of Therapeutic Success – Dept. of Oral Radiology, UCLA School of Dentistry, CA
- American Academy of Orofacial Pain (AAOP)
- International Association for the Study of Pain (IASP)
- American Headache Society (AHS)
- Headache Cooperative of Pacific (HCOP)
DR AZUSA KUWASHIMA
Dr. Kuwashima graduated from Nihon University School of Dentistry at Matsudo, (Japan) where she also earned PhD. in Prosthodontics. Her research interest in bruxism, the relationship between oral behaviors, and temporomandibular disorders led her to the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA) where she earned a certificate in Orofacial Pain & Dental Sleep Medicine. Dr. Kuwashima is board certified by the American Board of Orofacial Pain and a Fellow member of the American Academy of Orofacial Pain. With a keen interest in research, she has published multiple research articles and done scientific meeting presentations.
Diplomate – American Board of Orofacial Pain (ABOP)
Fellow – American Academy of Orofacial Pain (AAOP)